Monday, June 2, 2008

Four Mouths

Ruins at Termessos, 34 km from Antalya

Beach at Kemer south of Antalya

Our hotel (with lethal hammock!) near Olympos

Lots of these turtles around, including on the road

From Olympos

Ruins at Myra

Our private boat cruise

on the boat in Kalekoy harbour

Kalekoy - we went to castle top

We are now at the tiny fishing village of Ucagiz (Three Mouths) just near the 'sunken city' near Kalekoy. It is an old but attractive village with various pansions and open-air restaurants on the bay. The villagers have some concern that, with the arrival of Kitty, they may have to change the name to 'dortagiz' (no prizes for guessing the translation).

Kitty certainly was known and heard by all the previous night at our beautiful resort at Olympus. She went for a swim in the large pool. A few minutes later an agonising death-call “GRAAAAAAEEEEEMMMMMEEEE” rang out across the village. I raced to the pool fearing a shark had got her. The manager also raced out. No Kitty – she had disappeared. I look around – over in the corner was a dazed and bruised Kitty lying miserably on the concrete – underneath the large wooden frame of a hammock. I had earlier looked at the hammock and decided that this was a spot where “angels fear to tread”. Kitty was of the other view.


So we had a lazy day. From the resort we went to Myra to see the statue of St Nicolas (Noel Baba). The statue was the pure Coca Cola version of Noel Baba – fat, jolly, bearded and red-suited. Myra is an ancient, important city on the Med. And Nick was its first Bishop. Myra has the traditional ruins including an amphitheatre and many sarcophagi.


At this site an enterprising villager sold us a 2-person boat trip to the sunken city. The three hour trip, on a boat resembling the African Queen, went around various islands and villages. It was relaxing and pleasant. We sat on a mattress at the front of the boat protected by an awning. Swimming was a little nippy at first but then fine. The sunken city itself was a dead loss. You would see more of a sunken city in 2 minutes snorkelling under Port Melbourne pier.


Now on to Kas and Fethiye (see earlier Farkawi map).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi intrepid travellers,
Maybe you dont have to be so intrepid with those luxury resorts. I think your blogs are great. So great I am practicing by writing this rambling light-hearted bloggy response. Read on at your own risk!

With all your interesting photos and fun adventures I am getting keen to do some travelling in that part of the world. It is safe, isn't it? But then I suppose you do have Kitty to look after you. When is Kitty going to write some more blog? She is an amazing driver, after coping well with all the difficulties of driving a manual left-hand drive car, being led straight into floods, she even skilfully using less than 7l/100km in spite of some of the driving being up and down and round and round the coast; must have saved a fortune of $3/l petrol. You must count your blessings Graeme.

Those Turks don't seem to look after their buildings well. I suppose there must be some not in rubble for people to sleep in, apart from resorts.

Are they the Ucagiz in the statues at Myra? I suppose you would be looking open-mouthed if you were about to be turned intso stone. Kitty must really be revered by the locals for them to be considering renaming it Dortagiz. Still I suppose they would not have come across anyone with her talents.

There don't seem to be many tourists on the beaches or at the ruins etc. Did Kitty ask them to kindly wait so you could get a nice photo?

Each of your blogs impresses me. You are both doing very well seeing ancient ruins and staying at luxury resorts. Where do I buy my tickets? But how long do you spend blogging each day? I hope it is not eating into too much of your ancient civilisation education. Anyway your blogs are great for us and as a record for you to look back on. I'd like to blog on the move too, so I'm ready to buy an ASUS Eee PC 900 with wireless access - how widely available is access?

Graeme should I post you over a memory card for a camera, or can you buy another one locally? Just write HIS and HERS on them and each looks after his own. I'm glad that things are going even better and more smoothly now. Graeme you should test any beds or seating for Kitty - I am sure she was just testing the hammock for you after she noticed you were interested in it.

Be careful not to take a right turn instead of a left, else you may end up in Iraq - and Mr Rudd has just taken our troops out so there would be no Aussies to help you. Are you climbing Mt Ararat to see if the Ark is there? I suppose you already have too much packed in. Well I've written too much, sorry, so I'll just say have fun and Bon Voyage for the rest of your wonderful trip of a lifetime together.